Monday, August 1, 2016

Phuket Revisited in 2016: Introduction

Since August in China was scathing hot and fraught with all sorts of floods and droughts, my mother and I changed our summer holiday plans from Eastern China to South East Asia, again.

Thanks perhaps in part to the slumping oil prices, airfares have been incredibly cheap for the past year or so. Even without a major sale tickets to Phuket were selling at ~SGD 115 return. 


Review: Sugar Marina Resort-Surf-Kata Beach 2016



To be honest when I returned from China on Tigerair I did not quite anticipate that I will be flying on it again in such a short time.

Though as we descend through the clouds and views of the Andaman sea, I quickly forgot about flying on a budget carrier. To be fair, they have shown tremendous improvements recently, in particular the captain's address has gotten a lot warmer and more friendly.




Phuket airport has constructed a new terminal which was supposed to be launched into operations in June, though apparently it remains cordoned off when when landed in HKT. Apparently, passenger service using the new terminal has been postponed till September.

Since we have an extended stay this time round, I thought it makes sense to alternate between the less crowded Kata beach and the more vibrant Patong area.

As chance would have it, Hyatt has opened this new Hyatt Place hotel in Patong, which I thought would be nice to try, since I was curious how would a select-service hotel fit into a largely leisure travel market. 


For the stay at Kata, I selected the Sugar Marina Resort in Kata. They appear to be a boutique hotelier operating a series of themed hotels in Phuket and Krabi.


I made a small mess when booking the accommodations - stays at Hyatt properties are eligible for accruing Krisflyer miles, although you would have to book at the official site to qualify. However, somehow the promotional price of SGD 55 a night ran out on the official page while it was still available on third-party booking sites. So I reluctantly gave up accumulating the 500miles in order to save about SGD 60.


Altogether for my mum and myself, we spent slightly less than SGD 1,000 on this trip, comprising:

1. SGD 270 on air tickets and travel insurance
2. SGD 125 booking Sugar Marina Resort for 2 nights 
3. SGD 195 booking Hyatt Place Patong for 3 nights
4. SGD 380 on food and random spendings

No comments:

Post a Comment